Thursday, October 11, 2012

Alcoholism and "ET"

My therapist has told me on several occasions that my situation reminds her of the movie, "ET".  I am the boy and my husband is ET.  At one part of the movie, they are both dying.  They have a strange connection to each other and they are lying on adjacent tables.  ET is dying and so the boy is too.  When they disconnect the boy from ET, the boy begins to regain consciousness and to live again.

This is a very accurate analogy of my current situation.  The more I disconnect from him, the more I feel alive...the more I feel like my own self...the more MY life does not revolve around alcohol.

We are not totally disconnected yet.  We may never be.  We are best friends, even after 7+ years of separation.  Divorce will help.  Time will help.  I'm not sure what else will help...

If he were an extraterrestrial...maybe returning to his own planet would help.  I would stay here.  (Just trying to insert a little humor.  That does help.)

No comments:

Post a Comment